Copper Based PCB
Copper Based PCB Manufacturer & Assembly – One-stop service
Copper-based PCB is one of the Metal Base Copper Clad Laminates with the metal substrate is copper. Its thermal conductivity is many times better than that of aluminum and iron PCB. It is also the most expensive metal circuit board, commonly used in the field of high power. Generally, there is immersion gold, silver-plated, HAL Lead-free and OSP copper-based PCB. And is composed of a circuit layer, an insulating layer, and a metal base layer.
Copper Based PCB Composition:
1. Circuit layer
The copper substrate circuit layer needs to have a large current carrying capacity so that a thick copper foil should be used, the thickness is generally 35 μm to 280 μm.
2. Insulating layer
The core technology of copper substrate is the thermal conductive insulation layer. Core thermal conductive component is composed of aluminum oxide and silicon powder and epoxy resin filled polymer, thermal resistance is small (0.15), the viscoelastic property is excellent, has heat aging resistance ability and can withstand mechanical and thermal stresses.
3. Metal base layer
The metal base layer is a supporting member of the copper substrate and requires to have high thermal conductivity. Generally a copper plate (the copper plate can provide better thermal conductivity), and is suitable for conventional machinings such as drilling, punching, and cutting.
1. The thermal conductivity of the copper-based PCB is twice that of the aluminum PCB. The higher the thermal conductivity, the higher the heat transfer efficiency and the better the heat dissipation performance.
2. The copper base PCB can be processed into plated through holes, but the aluminum PCB can not. The network of plated through holes must be the same network so that the signal has good grounding performance. Secondly, the copper itself has weldability, so that the structural parts are designed for its final installation can be welded.
3. The copper layer of the copper substrate can be etched into a fine pattern and processed into a boss shape, and the components can be directly attached to the boss to achieve excellent grounding and heat dissipation effects.
4. Due to the difference in elastic modulus between copper and aluminum (the elastic modulus of copper is about 121000 MPa and the elastic modulus of aluminum is 72000 MPa), the corresponding warpage and shrinkage of the copper substrate will be smaller than that of the aluminum substrate, so the performance of copper-based PCB is more stable.
5. Rules for designing the copper substrate: Since the copper base is thick, the minimum drilling tool diameter must be 0.4 mm, and the line width spacing is determined according to the thickness of the copper foil, and the thicker of the copper foil, the wider of the line width, so the larger the minimum width and spacing required.